Owning a car is an investment. That is why it is so important that you do regular maintenance to keep your car in tip-top shape. While every car can be slightly different, there is a general list of maintenance that must be performed every year to keep your car running properly and save you money in the long run.
Monthly Car Maintenance
- Check your lights are working. Replace the light bulbs as needed.
- Check your tires, including tread, inflation, and general overall condition. If their tread or condition is failing, it is time to replace your tires.
- Fill your windshield washer fluid.
Every Three Months or 3,000 Miles
- Check your transmission fluid. If it is low, top it off.
- Replace your oil and oil filter (for some cars, this is six months or 5,000 miles).
- Check your battery and cables. If you notice corrosion, you may want to have it checked.
- Check the belts and hoses, and be sure they are in good condition.
- Check your power steering fluid. Top it off if needed.
- Get your tires rotated.
Every Six Months or 5,000 – 6,000 Miles
- Change your oil.
- Check your chassis lubrication.
- Check your engine air filter and replace if needed. If you drive on dirt roads often, you may need to change them more often.
- Check that your wiper blades are still in good condition.
Every Twelve Months or 12,000 Miles
- Check the condition of your brakes, and replace if needed.
- Check your cabin air filter, and replace if needed.
- Check your coolant levels, and top off if necessary.
- Check your steering and suspension.
- Replace your wiper blades.
- Check your alignment, and have it adjusted if needed.
It is important to be aware of warning lights on your vehicle. If at any point the check engine, oil pressure, engine temperature warning, tire pressure, traction control, or anti-lock brake warning lights come on, it is important to not ignore them. Doing so can cause larger issues to occur, such as a blown head gasket, thrown rod, or a failure in the brake system causing an accident. Also, once you get over 30,000 miles you will need to check your spark plugs and spark plug wires, drain your radiator, and replace your coolant.
For Affordable Car Maintenance, Turn to Our Certified Mechanics Here at Deals on Wheels
Our team of professionals can perform maintenance checks on your vehicle and let you know if any additional maintenance / repair is necessary. Call us at (561) 847-4097 to schedule car maintenance in West Palm Beach today!